Monday, August 1, 2011

Muscle Memory

So that's what it's called - muscle memory! I remember the first time I tried to do a quick "copy/pasta"* from an actual piece of paper (2004, Naples), as well as the first time I caught myself typing "&&" into a not-programming-related e-mail** when I meant to say "and" (2007, Tallahassee). It's also what makes it hard for me to concat strings in PostgreSQL (since everybody knows that "||" means "or").

So what about you? What sort of muscle memory, repeated motion, ritualistic routines have you nurtured at work, only to have them show up uninvited to your meatspace party?


  * If you thought that was a typo, I suggest increasing your 4chan-related depravity.
** Yes, those do exist, albeit increasingly rarely.


P.S. - Thank you, Mr. Google, for helping me bring the words "muscle" and "memory" from the tip of my tongue all the way to the tips of my typing appendages...

No comments:

Post a Comment